Saturday, January 30, 2016

Tennessee Alapac

Female Alpaca


Mr Male ...who spits



Males....playing

A couple of weeks ago, my Fla/Tn friend Debbie drove down to Decatur to pick me up so I could spend a few days at her house in Crossville Tn.  The plan was for her to drive down to Moulton, go shopping and see the sights around here and then we would drive to her house the next day.  Well, those plans got changed and we ended up driving back to her house that same day.  Debbie and Joel have turned 13 acres into an alpaca farm.  Sixteen of them.....along with 25 chickens, two dogs and four cats.  The first day, Debbie took me on the tour to meet the alpacas.  I had heard that alpacas don't " spit" like llamas do.  ....WRONG!!!!  As I was taking a picture of one of the males, he walked right up to the camera and let me have it.  Grass spit all over the camera and my hand!  At least it wasn't in my face...ha.  It's a lot of work raising alpacas.  They have to be fed morning and night and given lots of water.  Every other day the barn has to be " mucked" out from all the poop.  The male and females have to be kept separate.  That means separated in the barn and in different pastures.  It's a days work just taking care of the alpacas, tending to the chickens morning and evening, feeding the kitties twice a day and then the two dogs who live in the house.  It was fun visiting with all the animals but I think five chickens and Mr. George kitty is enough for me.  
   

No comments: