Friday, January 25, 2013

Alabama Quilt Square

Hand embroidery on berries 
Alabama Flag and vines 

Every year the Alabama Rural Electric Association has a quilt square contest.  Each year, they pick a different subject and this year was the " Alabama's Official State Symbols".  Little did I know that our state's fruit was .....ta da...."the blackberry"!!!!!  I just had to try and make a square that says " Brambly Pines" for the contest.  My mind started thinking of ideas right away.  Of course there needed to be the state flag. I'm so glad we have an easy flag to make.  (Would have never been able to applique the Florida State Flag.) It took me a lot longer than I expected to finish my square.  There was a lot of hand embroidery to be done on all of the blackberries and leaves.  It was really hard to push the needle through all of the layers of fabric.  I sure did have sore fingers by the time it was done.  It turned out just like I had it pictured in my mind.  I was pleased when I put it in the mail to be sent off to Montgomery.  "IF" my square gets picked for the quilt, I will receive  a plaque and will be invited to go to Montgomery to have my picture taken with the " First Lady of Alabama".  The long wait until March 6 begins.  That's when they are informing everyone who enters the contest if their square is going to be used.  What an honor it will be if my square gets picked.  To be continued.............

No comments: