Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas in Courtland


My second carriage ride ever!!!

Lady of Lawrence County

Lord Charles

Harris-Simpson House


Bynum-Simpson House

The largest Magnolia Tree I've ever seen!!!

Historic Down Town Courtland


Women in Period Clothing, walking around town
Every year, Courtland has a Christmas Tour of Homes/ Open House a couple of weeks before Christmas.  I wanted to go last year, but some how we missed it.  I made sure I put it on the calender this year and we went!  It was just Chuck and I because Shell had to go to a meeting in Huntsville that day.  I wish she could have gone with us because she would have really enjoyed it.  Maybe next year.  We went into the Heritage Museum and they gave us a map of the four homes that were open on the tour along with refreshments and drinks.  As we stepped outside, the whole down town was filled with Christmas music.  There is a beautiful park with a big fountain and two gazebos right in the middle of the square.  I came across four pretty ladies, dressed in period clothing.  They were getting ready to walk around the square to talk to people.  As, Chuck and I were walking down the street to the first Open House, a man came in his horse drawn carriage and asked if he could take us to where we were going.  Of course, he could!!!!  Wow! two carriage rides in one year!!  All I had to do is move to Alabama...ha.  It was really fun seeing the inside of the four houses and hearing the stories about them.  I kept trying to imagine what they really looked like back in the 1800's.  Oh how I wish I could have seen them all then.  I think that is my favorite time in history.  It was a really fun afternoon and I think I will put the Tour on my calendar again next year.  The best part of it all, it was all "free"!! 

No comments: