Friday, June 10, 2011

BIG Blackberries!








Big picture, picture of the children, ricktey chair, wooden purse, Amish cook book, herbs, tomatoes, spoons and blackberries
 We left the house around 8:00 this morning to go see if we could " pick on the halves" at our favorite produce stand about 30 miles down the road.  Remember me telling ya how they let us pick a bucket of fruit for them and then we get our bucket for free?  Well, since it's so early in the season, we couldn't pick on the halves but she gave us $5 off the cost of our bucket....which made a gallon of giant blackberries $7.   The bushes had just been picked yesterday but there were still lots of big black ones  for us to pick.  It took us about an hour to pick two gallons of berries.  The field next to the berries, had a big patch of sunflowers.  When I got closer, to take pictures of them, there was cabbage planted all between the flowers...lol.  Along with our blackberries, we bought a basket of tomatoes and we each had a cup of homemade ice cream.....me, peach and Chuck had blueberry.  After talking to Mrs. Spradlin for awhile, we left for home but stopped at the Bakery to get some fresh herbs.  Well, we ended up getting more than herbs.  I got an Amish Cook book and Chuck got some dried Papaya.  Since we were just down the road from " Sweet Annie's" we decided to stop in and see Frances.  We hadn't been there in awhile.  Low and behold, I hit the jackpot in finding "stuff" today.  I got a huge, beautiful picture frame ( don't like the picture) that I'm going to paint white and then paint over the picture with chalk board paint and " ta da", I have a really neat chalk board for the porch.  Remember when everyone was making purses out of cigar boxes a few years back?  Well, I found one that looked like that but it's made out of wood.  It already had the handles on it and the inside is lined.  Got it for $6. I'm going to paint the outside and will probably paint my blackberries on it.  THEN, every time we stop there, I look at this picture she had in the back room.   I showed it to Chuck and he said if I wanted it, to go ahead and get it.  It's a picture of 7 children, playing in a field of daisies.  ....so I didn't think twice and she even came down in the price for me. It's perfect, hanging over my tall dresser in my bedroom.   Chuck found a couple of spoons to use on garden markers that he's going to make in his spare time...ha.  Then....as we were standing out under the front porch of the shop, talking,  I saw a rickety old chair with the seat half gone and she let me have it for $5.  I know! you're thinking that I'm crazy....BUT wait until you see what I end up doing with it.  Soooooo, we started out after blackberries and ended up with an explorer full of neat things.  That happens alot up here with us.....I love it!

No comments: