Thursday, September 2, 2010

semi-sad




Today was a semi-sad day here on Brambly Pines. I decided that after Sipsey/Sipster the rooster had bit me twice and cornered me in the mansion a couple of days ago...he should go live in Mt. Hope with Tommy's 200 free range chickens. I felt sad, when I thought about how I had raised Sipsey from a cute little peep and I thought he was a hen...until he grew twice the size of the other girls and his comb got really big and THEN.....he started " cock-a-doodle doing". I thought I would adjust to having a rooster but I knew they could turn mean and I became afraid of him. " The girls" are so sweet. They wouldn't hurt me for a second. I can reach under them when they are in their nest laying eggs, to collect the other eggs that were in the nest when they got in it. I know Sipster will still have a good life and he will be happier running free and " servicing" all the hens that live at Tommy's. Tommy promised me that he doesn't eat his chickens...he just collects the eggs. " The girls" will have a better life now that they don't have to run from Sipsey...lol. Soooooo "the mansion" is back to being " for girls only"....."yaya sisterhood"...."no boys allowed"! Oh yeah, Tommy is going to bring me a black hen since I gave him Sipsey. AND...he's going to get me two full grown "zebra" hens. That should be about all the mansion can hold. On another chicken note....Dixie Lee laid TWO eggs today..at one sitting. I didn't know chickens could do that. Just about the time I think I have learned everything about my chickens.....I learn something new. We have gotten five eggs, two days in a row now. " FRESH EGGS FOR SALE"!

No comments: