Monday, July 26, 2010

Reba the free range chicken

On the way home from the airport the other day, we stopped at the Mennonite Bakery in Falkville to get some spices. (They are really cheap there.) They had a sign on the door saying ...FOR SALE...chicks $1 and eggs. I asked if they had any grown chickens and if any of them were the black/white zebra ones. The guy told me to come out back to look at all their chickens and they have LOTS, to see if there was any I wanted. All of their chickens are " free range"....running every where. They had this big beautiful zebra rooster but I told him I didn't want a rooster. Then, he had a couple little zebras and one mid size. I asked for the mid size one, knowing that it had to be almost the size of " the girls" or they would peck it to death. He ran around and caught one of them.....which turned out to be one of the littler ones. He put it in a box and charged us a whole $7. She didn't make a sound all the way home. Chuck took her out of the box and put her in the yard. She hated it and all of the girls started chasing her. She kept trying to get out through the wire and several times, almost did. I kept telling Chuck she was going to get out. Sure enough....a few minutes later, Chuck found me and said...." you now have a free range chicken". I just knew she wouldn't make it through the night being out with all the wild animals but the next morning, she was running around the barn. We put food and water outside the girls yard for her and she is living in the woods next to the barn. I am hoping she makes it until she gets as big as the others and we will try and catch her and put her in the mansion. By the way....I named her " Reba " (zebra), after my grandmother. I will try and get a picture of her but she takes off running into the woods when she sees me.

No comments: