Wednesday, July 13, 2016

A Hiking We Will Go......

Off to Caney Creek....


Best way to  " hike"


Ian..loving the falls


Happy Lily Ryann


Ryan and Heather


Heather, Ian, Lily Ryann and Ryan




Vivi...touching the Falls...


Our Sweet Genavive.....


Ryan and his girls....


Enjoying the coolness of the canyons....

I have never been hiking in the forest without Chuck.  It's actually kinda scary to me but I really wanted to take the kids to Caney Creek Falls while they were here for July 4th.  Since it is a mile and a half hike to the Falls, we didn't feel that Chuck would be able to handle it.  So, it was all up to me.  I loaded everyone into our Pilot ( I love having the extra seats in the Pilot so the whole family fits) and headed to the forest.  Chuck gave me instructions how to find the road that Caney Creek was on.  After that, I was on my own since cell phones don't work once you drive into the forest.  I didn't have a problem. I drove through the forest and  found it!!  Everyone jumped out, got their back packs we had packed lunch, water, etc in and sprayed down with bug spray.  Off we went down the trail.  Usually there are lots of blackberries along the trail but because of our dry summer and I guess everyone else walking down the trail, there weren't very many berries.  I did pick a few and of course Vivi thought they all belonged to her.  She is my " berry eating baby".   As you get closer to the Falls, you hear the water before you see it.  First we checked out the top of the Falls before going down the canyon to where we would spend the afternoon.  Then the fun began.  What fun it was to watch Florida kids playing in a natural waterfall and climb on rocks and cliffs.  It was 97 degrees that day but in the coolness of the forest, it was no way near that hot.  The kids all squealed from the cold water of the Falls.  After our picnic lunch, playing in the Falls and a walk down the canyon, it was time to pack up and hike our way out to the Pilot.   I know a good time was had by everyone that day.  Something tells me that the kids will want to go back to the forest in the near future.  .....and I can get them there.

No comments: