Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Heading South

We're headed South  to Montgomery/Cecil


Almost there!


You can buy Alabama watermelon? 


One of Gene's Mom's courtyards


The addition to the house


New deck over looking the pond




The moss doesn't grow north of Montgomery  

It's always so much fun to head South to Gene and George's .  It's "home" but not.  There is moss hanging in the trees, the house has an addition added to it for Gene's Mom to live close by, all the rooms have been switched around and it's so fun to get new ideas for our house and yard.  This trip, Chuck and I got to spend the night over at the " Lodge" since Becca/Ro and the boys where there, staying in the guest room.
  I wonder how many times in the 42 years we have made the trip to Gene and George's and all the memories we have!!  Of course most of those trips we were heading " north not south".  Eight hours of " north".  Oh how I dreaded those long eight hours but they were so worth it once you got out of the car and had all the fun for the few days we were there.  Even back then, I wanted to live in Alabama where there were four seasons and wonderful people.  I never knew that it would actually happen for me one day.  The eight hour trip is only three hours now and I can actually take home all the fun ideas that I get from Gene and her Mom and actually do them because I have the same rooms in the house and I can grow all the fun plants in the yard that they share with me.  This trip, Gene's Mom gave me one of her "famous hummingbird feeders".  When the lodge was her house, she had over 125 hummingbirds come every year to her big feeders at her kitchen window.  It was wonderful fun to stand at the sink and watch them all.  Now that she has moved over to her addition to Gene and George's house, the hummingbirds didn't follow her.  She only has a few come visit so she doesn't need the three or four big feeders.  I feel so lucky that she has shared one with us.  Maybe the word will get out in Northern Alabama that we have one of the famous feeders and we will have a 100 hummers come to visit.  We'll see.  So far our usual four or five at a time have been drinking from it.  Until it's time to head " south" again,  I will enjoy the heirloom day lilies that Gene shared and the famous hummingbird feeder and all of my "Birthday presents" I received this trip.  My ideas are all dancing around in my head that I picked up down there.  I'm sure a few will jump out to change Brambly Pines, just a little bit.  

No comments: