Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Work Shop

Morning lecture by Susan Hill

making blueberry jam
On June 14, I went to an all day work shop on food perservation at the County Extention, the cost was $2.  The lecture was in the morning with tests before the class and at the end of the day.  I really didn't learn anything about canning because I have been doing it for at least 30 some years.  I made a 100% on both of my tests but I'm glad I went to the work shop...it was fun.  I walked in the door and there was someone I knew from Book Club.  Ann and I sat together and then went to lunch when it was lunch break.  After lunch we all split up into small groups and made blueberry jam with different kinds of pectins.  Our group made it without sugar.  It was a little tart but Chuck and I both liked it. ( I got to bring two small jars home)  I have the gallon of blueberries we picked, in the freezer and I'm going to use them for a batch of jam.  They had a "Home Food Preservation Book" for $12 and I ordered one. It came in the mail last week.  I'm set to go with all my canning now.  I also found out that I can take the lid to my canning pressure cooker to the County Extention and they will check the seal and the gages.  That's good to know! I think Mom was the last one to use my pressure canner and she's been gone for 18 years now.  I think it's time to get it tested!

No comments: