Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ruby-throated.....




When I opened the big front door to the barn, this afternoon, a hummingbird flew into the barn.  They do it all the time so I didn't think much of it.  I thought it would fly out after awhile.  It does take awhile some times because they won't fly low enough to go below where the door is on it's tracks.   I came to the house and then walked over to talk to the BNOE.  Chuck came over after awhile and told me that the hummingbird had been in the barn for a long time and he was getting weak.  He flew down to where Chuck could catch him and he brought him up to the house to show me ( he didn't know I walked over to the BNOE)  He let him go and he flew towards the TT.  A little while later, Chuck noticed him on the ground so he picked him up and brought him to the house.  We took him out onto the deck and I got some hummingbird food to fill the little feeder.  He would drink if I put his beak into the feeder.  Chuck put him down on the table and I kept feeding him.  He didn't try to move but would turn is head from side to side.  After about 15 minutes, I took my finger to move him over on the table because he was sitting in a puddle of food and to my surprise.....he flew away...up to the top of the highest pine tree at the end of the deck.  What a good feeling I had, knowing that we revived a little tiny creature that needed our help.  Chuck says he was probably just weak because of their high rate of metabolism, they need a constant source of high energy food.  It was so neat to hold him in our hands and see his little tiny tongue and the littlest feet I've ever seen.  What a nice way to end an afternoon. 

No comments: