Sunday, April 24, 2011

Birmingham Farmers Market








What a busy weekend I had last week.  I was invited to go down to Birmingham on Friday and spend the whole weekend with Lady Melanie.  The purpose was to go over to Georgia to attend Becca's Baby Shower on Saturday but we did a million other things besides.  I drove down after lunch on Friday in the pouring, pouring rain.  A cup of hot tea and a piece of wonderful homemade  lemon pound cake sure tasted good after the 1 1/2 hour drive.  The tornado sirens kept going off and the TV kept doing the " whaaaa whaaaa whaaa" sound.  There were tornadoes all around us but Lady Melanie said we didn't have to go to the basement unless the TV said it was heading to the Hover area.  So, we got dressed and headed out in it all. " I know! " We were going to Lady Melanie's  Great Niece's college piano recital and reception.  Not only did I get to enjoy a great recital but I also got to meet a lot of the Johnson Family.  I had heard so much about them all and was so happy to finally get to meet them.  After a really nice reception, we drove home with the rain letting up.
We left the house at 6:30 AM!!!! Saturday morning with Kellet and Miss Lillie ( Lady Melanie's daughter and grand daughter)to go to the Farmer's Market, down town Birmingham.  Our mission was to get some pretty strawberries to make Lady's Melanie's French recipe for Strawberry Jam.  Not only did we find the strawberries, but beautiful tomatoes, pretty lettuce, purple geraniums and double hollyhocks.  ( Melanie bought me the plants...she is so sweet)  I had to take the picture of the eggs they were selling.  I had no idea that " the girls fresh eggs" were worth so much...lol.  It sure was a pretty Farmer's Market for it being Spring. 

No comments: