Thursday, February 17, 2011

Getting ready!





It's time to get the gardens ready to plant. We cleaned the main garden out...pulling up the old cabbage and collard plants. I pulled all the old bean and weed vines off of the wires to the trellis's. We had to wait a day before it could all be tilled because it was too wet. Chuck spent the next day tilling it all. This was only the first till, to turn it all over before the next frost so the cold will kill the bugs and seeds that have been in the ground all winter. Next, we will put all the compost that we have been collecting for a year all over the top and then we will till again. The plants are all going to LOVE all that chicken poop from the "girl's mansion". Just before we plant, we will till again. That should do it! Then, let the planting begin! I plan on planting the first of April in hopes that one last frost won't sneak up on us. I will have lots of fun help with my planting this year....Shell and Genavive will help and Lady Melanie is coming up to plant the " watermelon patch". She is even bringing the seeds and baby powder. ( you put baby powder on the melons to keep the animals from eating them....a lady at our local farmer's market told me that, last summer) I came up with the idea of using the two big pallets that something came on for building the house, as fence pieces in one of the corners of the front yard. It gives us something to put our "bluebird house" on and a back drop for anything else I want to hang. I planted one of the crape myrtles that I've had in pots for about four years now....just waiting to be planted on the land, in the corner. ( I have three more in pots to be planted somewhere) I bought some "peonies tubers" to plant on each side of the crape myrtle. I can just picture how pretty everything is going to be once Spring comes and they all start growing again.

No comments: