Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bird houses.....




We have several bird houses on the land. The first one I put up a couple of years ago, is wooden with a tin roof. It's on the path to the BNOE house and for two years, no one wanted it as a home ( just like our house in Florida) Shell gave me the cutest log cabin bird house and I hung it at the end of the TT by my bedroom window. Last Spring, someone moved in it. I was so excited. We also have the one we bought last summer that has the Alabama licence tag as the roof. It's at the other end of the TT by the picnic table. I am always looking inside of them to see if anyone has decided to make them their home. One of the first things that I did when we got to the land was look inside the little log cabin house. Much to my surprise, you couldn't even see inside because something had built a nest and the whole hole to the house was covered. I couldn't think of any little bird that would be nesting this time of year so I called my friend, Kathy in Maine. ( she knows just about everything about birds) She just laughed at me and said it was a "mouse". My bird house was now a " mouse house". I decided that the little mice can live in the bird houses as long as they stay out of the TT. The wooden birdhouse had been occupied , by a bird since the last time we had been to the land. There was also straw sticking out the hole to the Alabama roof one so I thought a bird had used it also but come to find out, when Chuck went to clean the two out that I had thought birds had used, a little mouse stuck it's head out the hole of the licence tag one so Chuck didn't clean that one out. The little mice needed some place to live where it was warm and dry for the rest of the winter. Heaven help them if they decide to visit the TT though. We have "decon" for them to taste but someday, two mice catching kitties will be living in there so " watch out you little mices". Enjoy the birdhouses all you want!

No comments: